Is now a good time to start a business or brand?
If you’re wondering if you should wait to start your business or brand, I am going to quote Eckhart Tolle from The Power of Now. He reminds us “Waiting is a state of mind. Basically, it means that you want the future; you don’t want the present. With every kind of waiting, you unconsciously create inner conflict between your here and now, where you don’t want to be. This greatly reduces the quality of your life by making you lose the present…So, give up waiting as a state of mind.”
To illustrate my point, I’ll share my story. Last year, I was working for a brand consulting firm in Dubai, UAE, which was certainly a great experience. However, the position did not work out long- term. I could have made the decision to be a victim of my circumstances. I could have collected unemployment and lived in fear – not knowing how to pay my mortgage and monthly bills while living on just unemployment income.
I made a decision to take control of my life and start my own business! In six months, I went from $0 income (not counting unemployment) to a six-figure business. What inspires me the most about that success, is that I’m fulfilling on my commitment to empowering people to pursue their dreams AND have the experience of making money doing it.
- If you are unemployed and can’t get a job in this “economy” (and, you are concerned about your finances), my message is start your own business NOW.
- If you are in a job, but aren’t quite happy with it, then my message is quit or transfer to another position that inspires you NOW.
- If you have a business and it’s not feeding your soul or fulfilling your dreams, then my message is, it’s time for a makeover NOW!
In short, all we have is NOW. Tomorrow is never guaranteed. Neither is next week. Or next month. Or next year. Cliché as this may sound, consider that MANY people ware waiting for something to happen to embrace the NOW and pursue their dreams. Yes, life is short. Money and time are just circumstances. Enter the world of entrepreneurship, and you will find a whole new, exciting world to experience. NOW is the time to follow your passion. All the other things will fall in place.
What does this have to do with branding?
- Part of building a business and brand has a lot do with your MINDSET (hence, the Tolle reference)
- The market does not need another [FILL IN THE BLANK, e.g., life coach, business coach, consultant, advisor, therapist, counselor, event planner, etc. etc.].